Sunday, February 10, 2013

Neers Take 2nd In Region 6, Send 11 to State

After a grueling two day Region 6 Tourney, the Neers come away with the Runner-up KHSAA Walnut.  Seniors Joe Parrot and Kevin Cooper won the 126 and 152 weight classes respectively.   

I wish I understood the sport better and could provide better commentary.  I can say I’ve learned two basic things after following this team this year; the sport is grueling and painful.  Winners are determined by strength, quickness, confidence, skill but most importantly heart.  These SK kids have a lot of all of these.  I’ve had a blast covering these guys this year and I’m going to be disappointed at this time next week when the season comes to a close.  I’ve said it before but this has been one of my favorite Neer teams in years. 

Cooper is finally getting into that focused zone I’ve seen him in before.  He’s a fun guy to watch wrestle as he launches an aerial assault on his opponents.  Most guys win on the mat but Coop has a knack for getting guys off the mat and in the air to get them where he wants.  While Cooper has won state titles the last two years, things won’t be easy for the last of the Cooper family wrestlers.  I look for Coop to get in a zone next week and bring home the gold. 

Parrott is having fun and has a positive spirit about him.  This is translating into some real positive energy as he steps on the mat.  He had a tough opponent in the finals but went up 11-4 and cruised to the win despite getting a ribbing from his brother for his third period tactics where he took in the scenery. 

In addition to the outstanding performances by these two guys and more importantly, SK qualifies 11 athletes for next week’s State Tournament at the Alcatel Arena at the Kentucky Horse Park.  Chamblee, Mueller, and Kloentrup bring home silver.  Chamblee was upset after losing probably the best match of the finals.  A loss can certainly be a strong teacher and I look for Heiro to bounce back next week.  Kloentrup came out of nowhere to put some valuable points on the board for SK.  Bergman and Lutes bring home Bronze.  Bergman avenged a loss he suffered last night against Wolfe from Walton.  Hicks, Owens, Roberts and Harris claim the final qualifying spots.  Listermann won his consolation match putting him in as an alternate.

Get some rest tomorrow boys but get to work Monday.  One week of grind left.  Good luck in your quest for another piece of KHSAA Walnut.
 
Yeah buddy!
DSC_8187
 
DSC_8193
 
Tucker Mueller wrestled tough but lost to undefeated Myers from Campbell Co.
DSC_8093
 
Chamblee got 2 points for this takedown but fell 12-10. 
DSC_8063
 
Like I said...
DSC_7975
 
DSC_7967
 
DSC_7963
 
Coop down 3-2 early but he knows how to stay focused as he comes back for the pin.
DSC_7958
 
Guess who?
DSC_7948
 
Getting in the Coop zone.
DSC_7940
 
Former SK Wrestler and WV Coach Dave Barnes congratulates Coop after his win.
DSC_8010
 
I love this kid's spirit.
DSC_7754
 
Tough match but after he got up 11-4, Parrott went on cruise control.
DSC_7787
 
DSC_7792
 
DSC_7778
 
Great job by Kloentrup finishing 2nd.
DSC_7736
 
Bergman with a win putting him in the 3/4 match.
DSC_7706
 
Harris with some aggressive matches; just came up a little short.
DSC_7673
 
Hicks with the best looking wound in the meet.
DSC_7650
 
Hotrod getting pumped after a win.
DSC_7643
 
Lutes putting final touches on a win.
DSC_7622
 
Nice job by SK's Mr. Wilbers running the Region 6 tourney.  He was a one man band doing everything from announcing to tabulating scores.
DSC_7589
 
Joey being smooth for the interview.
DSC_8207
 
Smile!
DSC_8136
 
Kevin dressed for church.
DSC_8154
 
Collecting the hardware.
DSC_8176
 
Coach Kaiser saying work isn't over.
DSC_8196
 
Deuces...
DSC_8190