Back in my days as soccer coach, I coached a girl named
Shari who was as fierce and hard-nosed as a player I had ever coached. All of the girls were afraid to go up against
her one on one in practice because she had no fear. I coached a lot of successful teams and kids
in soccer but she was definitely one of the tops in the physicality
department. Her mom used to joke around
that she had to be tough because she was surrounded by older brothers. These brothers were
into wrestling and constantly going at each other on their way to multiple state titles in wrestling. Shari had no choice but to be tough as the only girl in the family. To say Shari was feared by the competition would be an understatement. Shari went on to have a successful
soccer career at SK as a midfielder and was part of the team that started SK’s
eventual run as one of the best teams in the 9th Region.
Why the talk of soccer in the middle of winter sports
season? That girl was Shari Cooper who
had a little brother named Kevin who was about 5 at the time. Kevin would come up to me after Shari’s
soccer practice and kick me in the shin or try to tackle me. He’d kick me and just stare at me daring me
to say something back to him. I would just laugh but
I told his mom Jeanne back then that he was going to be the one to watch on the
sports field. Hard to believe that this
is the same dude that is going for his 3rd straight KHSAA title next
Friday and Saturday. Good Luck Kevin! Hope you can be as tough this weekend as your
sister was back in the day.
Mark, Jeanne and Kevin yesterday following Kevin's 6th Region Title.