Saturday, January 10, 2009

Double Dip at the Joe

It was the boy/girl double header of the year. A little different format with two different schools were involved as the visiting team was Walton Verona for the boys and Grant County for the girls. The format definitely drew a nice crowd at the Joe tonight. I would like to see them do more of these as it created a nice atmosphere for a Friday night of hoops.

The boys took to the floor first. The result was the second consecutive loss in a row on the home floor for the Pioneers. WV maintained an upper single margin lead on the Pioneers throughout the first half. The Bearcats extended the lead to a whopping 18 points before the Pioneers were able to trim the lead to single digits down the stretch. Walton claims the district win by a final of 63-55. Honestly, there wasn’t a lot of excitement put forth by the team tonight. They played hard but I would like to see a little more passion and fun from the boys. SK falls to 2-2 in the District Standings.

The girls took to the floor for the night cap. The Pioneers jumped on Grant early and often and literally put the game away in the first couple of minutes. The Pioneers raced out to a 46-12 hurtin’ on the Braves at half-time which caused a lot of the Pioneer faithful to collect their belongings and hit the road at the intermission. The girls cruised to a 71-35 victory. I had trouble cathing the final stats but I believe Chelsea Tolliver had 21 and Lyndsay Figgins had 16. The Lady Pioneers play tomorrow night in another district match-up with Williamstown on the road.

I thought I would throw a bunch of pictures at you. I have a lot more that I will post in the next few days, similar to I did for football for those of you who have asked. Sorry for the delay.

Bishop looks things over for the Pioneer O.
DSC_6841

Lanham gets his uni ripped off.
DSC_6838

Up and away.
DSC_6813

Not a lot of fire there.
DSC_6806

Lang with the dipsy do.
DSC_6803

Who is the little dude?
DSC_6868

Tyler with a drive.
DSC_6845

Ball hits this 4th quarter shot.
DSC_6872

Chelsea with a boat load early.
DSC_6909

Kayla with a nice game. Takes an elbow to the ear here.
DSC_6918

Sticks from the Grove
DSC_6886

Sidney with the conversion.
DSC_6948

Aly all alone.
DSC_6952

Cait with the shot but did a nice job feeding the rock tonight.
DSC_6988

Been awhile since we have seen this.
DSC_7015

Pace looking inside.
DSC_7008