From The Kentucky Post 8/24/07 Edition
"Junior libero Carly Becker served 13-straight points, which included five aces, to help Simon Kenton (9-4) to a two-game sweep of Calvary Christian (2-2), 25-22, 25-12 in high school volleyball action on Thursday night. Becker, who had seven aces in the match, helped the Pioneers come from behind early in Game 2 to take a commanding 15-4 lead midway through the game. Simon Kenton sophomores Kristen Pace and Kathryn Smith combined for 11 kills while rotating at the middle and right-side hitter positions. The setter position was an asset for both teams, as senior setter Meagan Dunn paced the Pioneers' offense with 19 assists and Dominique Bray led Calvary Christian with four assists. Bray also recorded a pair of aces."
Now I had to ask the question since I know very litte about volleyball- What is a libero? I actually thought it was a Post misprint. Here's what I found.
What is the basic definition of a libero, and how do I pronounce it?
The libero is a designated back-row player, intended to be used as a ball-control specialist. The libero is allowed to replace any player in the back row without counting as a substitution. There is no limit to the number of libero replacements a team is allowed. The pronunciation is "LEE-bah-ro".
If you are an SK Volleyball fan and would like to contribute information here since I know so little, please shoot me an email to pioneerssk@yahoo.com. All you need to do is send me an email of what happened at the game and it will get posted here. Pictures can be submitted as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment