Thursday, January 10, 2013

SK Goes Down to Camels in Dual Qualifier

A great crowd of wrestling fans turned out to the Joe tonight for the Regional State Dual Qualifier.  A shout out to Mr Popham, Coach Marksberry, Coach Steiner, Mr. Skidmore and Ms. Lewis who I saw in attendance.  The meet was supposed to be a Regional meet.  However, it turned into a two team contest between Simon Kenton and Campbell County, as several teams dropped out of the meet.  However, wrestling fans came from all over to see the match tonight.  Only problem was the Neers entered the meet without the services of several key wrestlers who were either banged up or suffering from illness as flu/viruses etc. are running rampant in the Indy school this week.

Campbell County wins in fairly easy fashion over the home team by a final of 54-13.

Not to take anything away from both teams but eyes were clearly on the final match of the night featuring our Kevin Cooper versus Stephan Myers from Campbell County, both defending state champs.  Coop has been wrestling all season at 152 and Myers recently dropped down from 160 to set-up the match against what some have called two of the best wrestlers in the state in quite some time.  Myers scored 2 points on Coop early.  Kevin tied and had some good chances to score in the second period but Myers was able to just stay ahead of Coop's moves.  Once Myers got the lead, Coop tried some desperation measures at the end that failed and lost by a final of 7-2-although the match was much closer than the final score. 
I talked to Pop Coop after the match and although a little disappointed was certainly not discouraged by what he saw in his youngest dude.  I don't know the sport good enough to know what he was thinking; I could just tell he was thinking some good stuff.   

I’ve known the Cooper family for a long time.   Two things I’ve learned over those years; first they are a Class A family; all of them.  The other thing is on the sporting field is you just don’t…..never mind, I’ll keep that one to myself.  I’ll just say I’ve got the Pioneer faith in the fine young man that’s been kicking me in the shins since he’s been 4 years old.  Go get’em Coop, you are clearly a special SK athlete. 

Joey had his hands full tonight with Fauz from CC.
DSC_4766

DSC_4769

Colton Cooper with a near pin.  He still went on for the pin.
DSC_4797


 Nothing to say other than Cooper versus Myers.
DSC_4872

DSC_4878

DSC_4886



Look how many people videoing in the background.
DSC_4891