Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Even with L's, That's Better!


The Neers volleyball team travelled to Pandaland tonight for a match-up with the second ranked team in Northern Kentucky.  SK was coming off their worst performance of the season last night against Boone County facing one of the better teams in the area in NDA.  The Indy girls were swept tonight but they actually competed better tonight than they did last night; actually much better.  There was always one thing I hated when coaching; a team that quits.  The Neers had no quit in them tonight and kept playing hard right until the final whistle.  Sure, nobody likes to lose but there were some good things to build on tonight.    

A sports season is definitely one that sees peaks and valleys.  While the varsity girls have lost some matches they probably shouldn’t have recently, I detected some new swag back in their steps tonight.  (I need to clarify with my daughter if I'm too old to write swag.)  I’m predicting last night was the valley of the season and it is up hill from here.  True athletes do more than just win; they like the challenge of playing the best and get better from it.  I love that spirit and I saw it tonight.  Nice job girls and the best part is you play another match tomorrow.   SK travels to Cooper in another NKAC match-up before wrapping the season up next week with two home games. 
 
HR with a big swing.
Figgins-9321
Awesome block(s) by seniors Callahan and Eudy sticking their noses in for a monster hit.
Figgins-9344
 
Coach Atwood with some things to smile about tonight.
Figgins-9316
 
Likewise, you can always count on Kelsey for a smile.
Figgins-9272
 
Actually a little celebrating going on!
Figgins-9320
Figgins-9206
Figgins-9279
 
 
 
I really liked Murray's competitive spirit tonight.  Here she takes a fly.
Figgins-9297
 
Chloe Turner with a nice play.
Figgins-9337
 
Eudy getting some instructions on the fly.
Figgins-9208
 
Biz made a nice run of serves in the JV contest.
Figgins-9181
Sha-mah-dee gave it her all.
Figgins-9168