Thursday, September 29, 2011

Gut Check Night for Lady Neer Soccer Teams

A gutsy night of soccer in Indy from all three Lady Pioneer teams tonight as the NDA Giant Pandas ventured into the southern end of the county. SK loses all three games but by a collective score of 3 goals; 3-2, 1-0 and 1-0 in the Frosh, JV and Varsity games respectively. I’ve been watching Lady Neer soccer for years but I can honestly say that I don’t recall SK losing by such a narrow margin to the Giant Pandas in three games.


The JV team lost a heartbreaker. With just 50.4 seconds left in the match Notre Dame sent a cross that bounced of Abby Thatcher after a nice dive and save. A NDA player crashed the goal, was in the right place at the right time and was able to clean-up the garbage and sending the ball into the back of the net.  The home team comes up short of the tie by less than a minute. Great job JV team. I really think that you set the tone for the varsity game.

In the varsity game, the girls played harder than they have all year. Period. Girls, you went toe to toe with the 2nd ranked team in the state and lost because of a lousy PK. You played with hearts and guts all night long. I can watch a game and usually pick out a few kids that had good games; tonight, you all played hard. Notre Dame ran 6 college recruits out on the field. Sure, they may have been better soccer players, made better runs, had better foot skills etc. but SK, you played harder. When it comes to playing hard versus talent, I’ll take my chances with the guts.

With respect to the PK itself, I’m not saying it was a bad call because I didn’t see it. The part that stuck out though on that play wasn’t the foul, the encroachment by NDA or the goal; it was the fact that you went over and picked up your teammate after the goal. That’s just good stuff. Soccer is about as a team oriented sport as there is and frankly, I hadn’t seen the level of teamwork required to compete with the teams in this region. I saw it tonight and it was fun to watch.

Just an awesome job tonight. Remember what you did, how hard you played and how important your team was to you and I’ve got a good feeling about how things will go for you in the post season. Good luck.

Steele showed some fire tonight.  I liked it.
DSC_9962

Russell showed why she is a Russell tonight.  She was tough as nails.
DSC_9922

I heard a parent who I respect the other day say, "We've got to get back to playing SK soccer."  To me, that means hard working and physical.  I saw it tonight.
DSC_9958

DSC_9915

Meyer with a good enough game for the W. 
DSC_9928