The Lady Cats were probably overmatched for SK tonight. The Freshman and JV matches got over in fairly quick fashion as my shift in the concession stand peddling pizza, dogs and Frito bags laced with taco meat during the Freshman match was abbreviated by the quick nature of the match.
The varsity team looked as if they were going to follow suit as they jumped out to a sizable lead behind the consistent serving of Saralyn Callahan as SK jumped out to a 10-2 lead. However, The Cats put a string of points together in the latter stages of the set but still fell to a 25-13 defeat in the first game. In the second set, SK once again caught fire early on in the match and it looked like we were headed to the Indy Restaurant District early. The Lady Cats finally grabbed some momentum and actually took a 15-14 lead. The Lady Cats were playing hard and giving it everything they had. Coach Atwood maintained a tight grip on her clipboard and didn’t call timeout. (I’m new to volleyball but I can tell you that if this were basketball, the clipboard would have ended up on the floor somewhere with a loud thud.) Anyway, she let the girls solve things on the floor and the Neers finally got their act together and finished the match pulling away by a final score of 25-18.
Stats for the match:
Freshman Haley Robinson had 5 kills
Sophomore Kaitlin Murray had 4 kills
Junior Samantha Eudy had 4 kills
Junior Saralyn Callahan had 2 Blocks and 4 aces
Sophomore Sophie Dunn had 10 assists and 6 aces
My compliments to the Pendleton County team. While it seemed to me that SK was the better team(s) tonight, I was really impressed with the Lady Cats program. I reluctantly admit, I was sitting in the stands after the SK's JV 21-4 trouncing and thinking, wow, this must be a little tough for the players and parents to come up here and lose in pretty solid fashion. A slap of reality hit me upside the head later and I recognized that those kids were proud to be a part of a team representing their school and their community. After all, if everyone wanted to play on the championship team, there would technically only be one team to play for and after all, every kid can’t play for the Trinity football team or the Assumption volleyball team. I'm always amazed by those who send their kids to schools primarily to be on strong athletic teams so that they have a chance to win a championship or have a better chance to get noticed by college scouts. Give me a break.
Anyway, Nice job Lady Cats. There will be an SK team on the same side of the scoreboard this season as the Lady Cats were tonight. I hope they carry themselves in the same manner. OK, enough warm and fuzzy. I’m out.
Carson with some really nice serves in the JV match.
Nice dig by Kelsey Henderson.
Carly Caverly with a nice jump serve in the second set.
Study hall.
Freeze frame of Murray and Eudy
Kaitlin Murray with a first half kill.
Fill in your own caption; I don't have one.
Coach Atwood watches as the Lady Cats take the lead in the second set.