Saturday, March 14, 2009

Not So Sweet Ending at Diddle

Another magical run for a SK sports team came to an end today as the Lady Pioneers lost to Casey County in the Elite 8 of the Sweet 16 Tourney. It was a tough loss because I am sure the coaches, players and fans in attendance believed that the girls were going pull out the W and advance to the Final 4. It didn’t happen and dag-gone-it, losing just isn’t a whole lot of fun.

First of all, the community’s support for the Lady Pioneers was awesome. There were so many people who took vacation days or who had to take out of school in order to be at the game today. I know that the entire program appreciates the support. It says a lot about our community.

Somehow, giving a recap of the game doesn’t matter at this point. I will throw out some thoughts in a day or two but who cares tonight. Instead, I would just like to congratulate the entire program on an outstanding season. There are about 500 different thoughts of second guessing that I thought about but it doesn’t take away from a 28-5 record and the effort that the team put in over the last several months.

I am a bit biased but I think one thing for sure, this was a senior class that will be used as a point of comparison at SK for years. They are all really good athletes but more importantly even better students. All 5 seniors were in the top 15 of their class when they were announced on senior night. It just doesn’t get any better than that.

I took in two more games tonight over at Diddle. As I was walking around in between games tonight, I noticed the Boone County kids with tears and emotions just wringing off of them after they lost to E-town. I thought about how ironic it is that they call this tournament the Sweet 16 when every team except one leaves in tears. Teams spend all of their efforts trying to get to the Sweet 16. It is every team's goal at the beginning of the season. It is just strange that the sweetness turns so bitter. I have witnessed more tough emotions coming from those who exit before they wanted. I saw kids literally collapse in emotion after defeat this week. Their emotion is one huge sting now but I have a feeling that in a few years none of the girls who left in sadness will trade the experience for participating in what has to be one of the best high school basketball events that exist.

Congratulations to the coaches and all of the players, staff and administration on a season that won’t be forgotten for a long, long time.

A cool scene today.
DSC_4573

The Lady Pioneer seniors...I can here it for a long time, remember that team of 2009

Olivia Bach
DSC_4980

Caitlyn Figgins
DSC_4587

Lyndsay Figgins
DSC_4655

Kayla Smith
DSC_4905

Chelsea Tolliver
DSC_4646