Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Big Night at the Joe For....

The Joe was the place to be tonight; not for hoops, too late in the season for volleyball, it was wrestling. The Pioneers hosted the Conner Cougars and Brossart Mustangs in a three way match. The kids from Twenhofel also joined their big brother Pioneers to go up against the Conner Middle School kids. The SKY (Simon Kenton Youth wrestling) kids also were there to take on the Conner Youth program. The stands were quite packed.

Wrestling was huge at SK in the 80’s. I remember that when I was a student that we would occasionally have matches during school hours that would allow the students to attend. Once the foundation was set by current Walton Verona Superintendent Bill Boyle, the Pioneers wrestling team, under the direction of Mark Townsley, became state champions at SK in 1987. David Barnes was the state’s Most Valuable Wrestler in the state tournament that year. David would go on to attend Miami University of Ohio and become the first wrestler from a high school in the state of Kentucky to become a Division I All American. The last several years, SK has been known by all of the Cooper cousins who have more state titles than they can probably count.

In tonight’s action the Wrestling Pioneers defeated the Conner 60-18 and the Bishop Stangs 66-0. The Pioneers are now 24-11 heading into the last month of the season. The Twenhofel team did defeat Conner Middle, earning important post-season seeding benefits. It looks like to me that the wrestling program is back on the rise at SK judging tonight by the success of the Pioneers, SKY and Twenhofel kids. They were all quite impressive.

Here are some pics. I am not sure who is who but I hope you enjoy. I think the pics give you a good idea what a wrestler puts his/her body through.

I have taken thousands of sports pics. This series of the SK wrestler getting bent like a pretzel are some of my wildest.
DSC_7616
DSC_7617
DSC_7618
DSC_7619
DSC_7620

These were the big guys.
DSC_7525

This is a tough sport.
DSC_7515

The Conner wrestler goes for a fly.
DSC_7536

Coach Wilbers demonstrates a move on Coach Gilbert.
DSC_7497

Look-up for the pin.
DSC_7642

Headgear becomes a mask when needed.
DSC_7571

One of the SKY kids.
DSC_7560

The tradition of the banner says it all.
DSC_7547

Former SK Standout Brad Cooper now refs matches.
DSC_7544

Ouch.
DSC_7601

Check out the Brossart guy's ribs.
DSC_7587