Friday, October 19, 2012

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I made the 90 mile drive home tonight in the family truckster struggling for something witty to write here.  Witty ain’t happening after my Pioneer v’ball girls just suffered a tough loss in the regional final after what was truly a memorable season.  Dag-gone-it, bummed me out.  The right words here just aren’t going to help the tears the girls had after not getting the state berth that they wanted so bad.  Our kids gave it all they had but it just wasn’t meant to be.  It was kind of sad watching that pit in the stomach this tough loss put on our team’s faces.  This was a extraordinary team and extraordinary teams don’t go down easily during the game or afterwards.  This team had that "it" that makes high school sports the last frontier of true sport.    

In a strange way, those tears of sadness kind of went away after the trophies were handed out.  It became special watching all parents, players and coaches hugging on each other.  I put my cameras away and enjoyed watching players posing for pictures with parents and grandparents.  The grandparents were as proud of their grandkids as they would have been had they won!  In a way, the tears from the “L” kind of went to tears about the good memories, especially for the seniors who with their parents had spent 100’s of games between the spring and school seasons together.  Sure, they had the look that this was their last game together but you could also tell they appreciated each other.  Enough sap, I’m making myself misty.  

What I really want to say is THANK YOU to the players, coaches and parents for the wonderful season.  Players, you were fun to shoot and write about; coaches, you are doing a tremendous job of building a PROGRAM and parents, it was fun hanging out with all of you during the season.  There are some sports seasons that I’m kind of OK when they are over.  Not the case tonight as we were all reminded what a special season it was. 
 
These student athletes made our Blog so much fun doing this year.  It was also fun doing because what I did here was appreciated.  I certainly don’t do this for the pats on the back but I very much appreciate the thanks I’ve gotten from this team, parents and coaches.  Thanks so much.    

Senior girls, you were an awesome representation for all SK Pioneers.  There is something I’ve seen in each of you that gives me confidence that each of you will be successful in your lives.  I'm sure you will always have a special place with Coach Atwood going through her first four years as SK coach from your frosh year to your senior year togehter.  Thanks for treating Rachael with respect, helping teach her the game and being a good example of what it means to be senior leaders.  Remember that sports is a great teacher, Best of luck to you and remember that once a Pioneer, always a Pioneer. 

Girls next year; work as hard in this off season as you did last year and we’ll see…you’ve got some work to do to get to where you want to be but I saw some heart during the past week that I know will take you there.

Finally, thanks to all of the families, friends, students and SK staff that made the trip tonight.  I was disappointed in the crowd sizes the past couple of nights but the Neer faithful outnumbered their competition tonight despite the fact that we had to travel an hour further into 8th region country.  One of the North Oldham students asked me if our school was close since we had so many more people in the stands than what they had.   Great job everyone.

Thank you! 

Marc
 
Awesome
DSC_2466
 
Seniors Henderson, Turner, Barhorst, Callahan and Eudy receive their trophy from Coach Zimmerman.
DSC_2537