Sunday, February 19, 2012

Congrats Kevin Cooper, Coach Gilbert and entire SK Wrestling Program!

Kevin Cooper was one cool customer this afternoon. Super Coop was basically hanging out in the Alltech Arena wearing his head phones and listening to his I-pod. Even when he was announced at the final introduction, Kevin jogged into arena wearing his headphones. Underneath his jacket, you could see the SK on his chest in the Superman logo layout. As I set up to shoot pics during the match, I gave Kevin a slight wink and in return got a head knod as to say, I got this. Once the match got underway, there was little doubt that Kevin was going to finish the season at an amazing 68-0. Congrats Kevin on a tremendous season. 

The Pioneer team finished 5th, nearly missing a hardware finish by a lousy ½ of a point. An awesome two day tournament by the boys. 

Finally, a huge congrats to Coach Nathan Gilbert. Coach Gilbert was awarded the state wresting coach of the year. Coach Gilbert is an awesome Christian witness, coach and teacher. I’m sure glad Coach Gilbert is wearing the many hats he does at SK. Keep up great work.

Thrill of Victory and Agaony of Defeat...Kevin Cooper celebrates victory while looking at the SK cheering section while WV's Logan Jones lays on the mat following Coopers pin.
DSC_5155

Cooper controlled the match from the onset.
DSC_5129

Drew Harris receiving his 5th place medal.
DSC_8630

KHSAA Coach of the Year.
DSC_8684

Cooper also received the Army National Guard Best and Brightest Award for the tourney.
DSC_8687

By the way, not sure why KHSAA and the Horse Park operators had the arena so dark for the finals; picture taking for anyone besides the guys with the strobes was nearly impossible and seeing the wrestlers from a distance was difficult.  It was a really nice venue and great crowd but turn the lights on next year!