Saturday, February 14, 2009

Busy Night at the JOE!!

There were more things going on at SK tonight than Coach Steiner has one-liners. The JV girls started off the night with a game against Lexington Catholic at 5:00. Once the JV game was over, the SK senior girls were recognized for Senior Night since it was their last home game of the year. Olivia Bach, Caitlyn Figgins, Lyndsay Figgins, Kayla Smith and Chelsea Tolliver played in a game for the last time at the Joe. Once half-time rolled around, the girls basketball teams from Twenhofel and Summit View were recognized. Chelsea Tolliver surpassed the 2,000 point club and was recognized at the conclusion of the girl’s games. SK goes on to “upset” Lexington Catholic by a final score of 64-51.

Bring on the boys versus Scott. The place is always packed as a little drama always seems to play out in the stands or on the floor. I still laugh at some of the back and forth between the student sections that went on last year. The game didn’t tip until after 9:00. I came back to the gym after the senior girl festivities in the cafeteria and found SK playing tough and within about 5 in the first half. The SK faithful were cheering the boys on and the effort was definitely there. Guess what, at half-time, more recognition as the Little Pioneers were recognized during the boys game. I really thought the boys played with a lot more fire tonight. I forgot to record the final score but they only lost by about 10. Remember, they got trounced by Campbell County the other night and lost to the same Scott team by 26 in the Kenton County Classic. The SK boys played good enough to get a few eruptions from the Scott Coach where he got red faced and upset enough to clash with his pink shirt. Speaking of pink shirt, all coaches tonight wore athletic footwear and lots of pink was displayed as the coaches for cancer fund raiser made it to the high school level. Lex Cath girls wore cool Nike pink socks and the SK girls wore pink warm-up shirts.

I felt worn out after the night was over. The people though who might have been the most worn out; the Winklers who were literally running out of things at the concession stand. Seriously though, the community came out in full force to support the teams tonight. I am sure all the teams really appreciate the support. I actually wish they would do more of the boy girl double headers.