Thursday, October 18, 2012

Welcome to the Finals Ladies!!!!!

The strong post season run for the 'Neer volleyball continued tonight at Shelby County as SK steamrolled the Anderson County Bearcats in three straight sets 25-9, 25-12 and 25-15 to set-up the regional finals tomorrow night versus North Oldham at 6:30.  SK’s energy came to the floor early as the young Bearcats were no match for the Pioneers.  Key stats for the night:  
Kaitlin Murray 8 kills, 7 digs and 2 aces; Samantha Eudy 8 kills and 2 aces; Saralyn Callahan - 2 kills and 5 Blocks; Sophie Dunn - 20 assists and 2 aces; Haley Robinson - 5 kills and 2 blocks. 

Last week I shared two lessons,  1.  The real season starts with the tourney, 2.  You need seniors who don't want to lose.  SK passed both of those lessons with flying colors during the past week.  Today's lesson is simple; just have fun.  If there is a team in the state right now having more fun, let me know where they are playing so I can go watch. 


Speaking of fun, I cut a deal with a couple of parents.  If the girls win tomorrow night and qualify for state, the parents get to perform Little Sally Walker on the Rocket floor.  Not me of course as I’ll be behind the Nikon. 

What a great group of student athletes this SK volleyball team is.  I’ve enjoyed watching this team as much as any SK team I’ve covered in a while.  They play hard, have fun and are just a good group of girls.  I only wish that the school and community was getting to see what they are accomplishing.  I realize it takes a little bit of drive to get to Shelby County but come on folks!  Where’s Jon Webster?  Where are all the other SK sports teams and cheerleaders?   Come to think of it, we didn’t even have the boyfriends of the players tonight.  Teachers, coaches?  Maybe tomorrow?  What I'm saying is, it is more than supporting a sport, support the student athlete.  Thanks to Ms. Setters for making the trip tonight. 

Again, game time is tomorrow night at 6:30 at Shelby County.  SK has a tall order in front of them and can use all the help they can get in the stands as the Neers play a team tomorrow that had a crowd on hand at least 4 times the size of the SK crowd.  
Incidentally, I remember the girls basketball team won their first regional crown back in 2008.....in the same Shelby County field house. 

Shelby County is at 1701 Frankford Road/Route 60 in Shelbyville.  I’ve gotten there in about an hour and 20 minutes.  Follow the GPS/Mapquest down 71 to Exit 34.   Turn left off the exit onto 421 and go about 2.5 miles until road dead ends onto 421/55.  Follow that road for about 17 miles to Shelbyville.  You’ll go past New Castle, Henry County High School, Eminence.  Once in Shelbyville, you’ll go past KFC/Taco Bell.  In less than a mile, you’ll turn left onto State Route 60.  Go about two miles and school will be on your left.  See you there. 
The Neer V'ball Girls.
DSC_2265
DSC_2324
DSC_2326
DSC_2305
DSC_2293
DSC_2313
DSC_2327
DSC_2364
DSC_2352
DSC_2338
DSC_2269
DSC_2355

These two take their bench warming very seriously.
DSC_2323

Coach
DSC_2302

Good time had by all.
DSC_2277

DSC_2375

DSC_2331