Tonight history was made, SK won their first district title in school history after defeating the Campbell County Camels 49-14. I'm sure coach Marsberry's team has plenty of goals for 2009 and I know that winning the district is one of them. The Neers opened the game with a dominating drive, culminating with an Austin Baldwin TD run but failed to convert on their two point attempt. The Camels and their pass first, pass 2nd, pass 3rd offense then proceeded to match SK and then converted their PAT to take a 7-6 lead. It didn't matter, SK then went on to score the next 43 points. On a field that resembled the everglades, Chad Lawrence, Miles Simpson, Nick Brown and the other SK offensive players dominated the run game. If you want to hear an impressive stat I have one, Simon Kenton’s first five possessions accounted for 35 points and 354 yards in just 29 plays and 10 minutes, 17 seconds. One thing is certain two people have work to do, the bus driver and the person who does the laundry, those white uniforms need one more good cleaning since we have a road game against Scott next week. I have to say I was touched to see #50 Derek Piccirillo at the game, I heard him have a conversation with Nick Repka, he said Nick didn't tell him not to be there but he also didn't expect him to make the game. Pic then said the Dr told him to rest but there was no way he wasn't going to support his boys. Many of the players had the five-oh written on their faces for their fallen teammate showing their unification. I didn't get to see the team don their district championship t-shirts but I'm sure the celebration was sweet. One more game to complete the regular season, next friday in Taylor Mill, no doubt the SK train will be ready to cap a one loss regular season, then on to the 2nd season. Congratulations boys, I've been around the program all my life and though I hoped I would see this day, I also thought it may not ever happen after seasons of mediocrity and some much lower than that. I am so proud of this team yet I know none of you. Keep the desire, still plenty of goals to meet, nine games down, six to go.
J. Stark Contributor