About that time, I got a text message from a friend at the game. I got to the light at Harris Pike and the Parkway and looked down at my phone expecting to see that the Eers were already on the board. 14-0 Conner; What! That can’t be, I am not even there yet; It’s the Gold Star, Fox 19, Skyhigh, Tristate this and that and everyone’s featured game of the week. How can it be? Come on Bob, surely you are kidding...aren't you?
I parked in one of the last mud hole spots near the carp pond between SK and Kenton Elementary (did anyone else see that) and headed to the field. SK got a Miles touchdown as I was walking into the faciltiy. 14-6 after the conversion failed. I got to the sideline and there was definitely concern in the air, not panic but concern.
High hopes were rampant in southern Kenton County going into this season after last year’s miraculous run. The team took a loss against Henry Clay last week and SK really wasn't hitting on all cylinders during the first three games of the seaon in spite of the wins they posted. No problem tonight, SK hit the GO button with a mixture of offense that got the Conner defense off balance. Throw in a Chad Lawrence and another Simpson touchdown and SK is up going into half by a score of 21-14.
OK, now that’s the team everyone in the eastside stands has been waiting for. There was almost a positive arrogance building during the game where the boys started hitting and playing with a high energy level. Everyone was flying to the ball and as you could hear the pads poppin’. The defense was flat out stingy. Conner’s highly touted QB was running everywhere trying to get away from the Blue Swarm D that ended up with a couple of picks and sacks on the night. The offense was very balanced. Lawrence was throwing ropes to several SK receivers. The running game was on track and not only was Miles shredding the Conner defense but so did Nick Brown, who ripped off several nice runs, and Sage Powell who scored a rushing TD. SK scored almost at will in the second half. The Pioneers tallied 5 second half TD’s and zaps previously undefeated Conner by a final score of 56-14. Certainly not what the prognosticators leaning up against the fence in the corner were predicting.
Congratulations to Chris Repka who broke a school record for PAT’s.
Finally, there was one thing that I learned tonight. The two fastest people on the SK sideline are Miles Simpson and………….. Coach Herbst. In the fourth quarter, Conner completed a screen pass that the receiver broke for a big gainer. Miles made a nice tackle and kept the TD from happening at the 5 yard line. SK held Conner there on 4 plays. I caught a black streak out of the corner of my eye sprinting down the SK sideline, it was Coach Herbst throwing pumped fists into the air with each one of his strides. Good stuff.
What a stiff arm.

Chris Repka with the record breaking PAT.